Season of the Witch

    When I first saw the trailer for Season of the Witch I was beyond eager to see it. Nicolas Cage, highly underrated by the general population, is one of my favorite actors. And Ron Perlman hasn't had a role yet that I haven't loved him in. Add this to my innate love of all things spooky and you have a movie that has my name written all over it. And I was FAR from disappointed.

    Now, one thing I will mention is that there is a very long build up. Plenty of plot and character development. All of this is very important once you reach the climax but it seems overly
tedious. Despite the build up, or perhaps because of it, the overall plot and story are simply phenomenal. The onscreen chemistry between Perlman and Cage is magnificent and the dialogue is packed with witty little quips between the two. And they aren't the only ones who put on a wonderful performance. Claire Foy plays the main antagonist or the 'witch' in this film. And what an outstanding job she does! You spend half the movie debating whether or not to be afraid of her or to be sorry for her.

    As far as monsters and effects go, this movie has what I consider to be plenty. We have some CGI wolves, demons, and a couple of zombies. There are a few scenes with CGI fire but never overdone. There's hardly any gore, though. But due to the time period (medieval England) there are a lot of scenes involving grotesque disfiguration due to the black plague. Overall, it was better than most newly released horror movies. There are a number of fight scenes in this movie, a few set in the Crusade. These were WONDERFUL! Perfectly choreographed and exciting to watch.

    This movie was thrilling, exciting, and just generally a fun watch. It was full of moral dilemma, fraught with scary monsters, had an interesting plot twist, and had cute little one-liners. I would definitely recommend it for a rainy day when all you wanna do is curl up with a scary movie and a bowl of popcorn. Be warned though: the ending may leave you a little sad.

    My final rating: 10 out of 10. I loved this movie and believe that anyone who doesn't needs to go back to the Saw movies where they belong.

Happy Haunting!

0 comments:

Post a Comment